Weekly Digest - 2020.12
Xbox Series X First impressions
Austin Evans had a chance to look at the Xbox Series X. His video gave us not only a fist look at the console, but the official specifications as well:
- Custom 8 core AMD Zen 2 CPU, clocked at 3.8GHz single thread, and up to 3.6GHz for sustained multithread load,
- Custom AMD RDNA GPU, 12TFLOPS, 52 CUs at 1.825GHz,
- 16GB (GDDR6) of RAM,
- 1TB NVME SSD,
- Expandable storage: 1TB expansion card,
- External Storage: USB HDD Support,
- 4K UHD Blue-Ray Drive,
- Dimensions: 301 x 151 x 151mm.
Video also clarified the naming convention:
- Xbox - is the name of the next generation of Microsoft consoles,
- Xbox Series X - is the name of the console.
Beside Evans' video, Microsoft also published their own clips:
Playstation 5 Specification
Sony (via Digital Foundry) revealed the full specification of the next console:
- Custom: 8-core AMD Zen 2 CUP clocked at 3.5GHz,
- Custom AMD RDNA GPU, 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz ,
- 16GB (GDDR6) of RAM,
- 825GB SSD,
- Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot,
- External Storage: USB HDD Support,
- 4K UHD Blue-Ray Drive.
Apple revealed new products
Due to coronavirus, Apple Spring event never happened and Apple just update their website/store with new hardware.
- Display: 13.3-inch LED backlit (2560 x 1600px) with True Tone,
- CPU: from 10th generation 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i3 up to 1.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7,
- GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics, supports up to 1 external 6K display at 6016x3384px @60Hz,
- RAM: 8GB base, 16GB maximum
- Storage: 256GB base, 2TB maximum,
- Battery: up to 11 hours,
- Camera: 720p FaceTime HD,
- Keyboard: Magic keyboard with scissor mechanism 😁,
- Ports: Two Thunderbolt 3,
- Price: starting at $999.
New Mac mini
- CPU: from 3.6GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i3 processor up to 3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7,
- GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630, supports up to 1 external 5K display at 5120x2880px @60Hz,
- RAM: 8GB base, 64GB maximum
- Storage: 256GB base, 2TB maximum,
- Ports: Four Thunderbolt 3, Two USB 3 ports, HDMI 2.0 port Gigabit Ethernet port (configurable to 10Gb Ethernet) 3.5 mm headphone jack,
- Price: starting at $799.
- Display: 11-inch (2388 x 1668) or 12.9-inch (2732 x 2048) 120 Hz Liquid Retina Display with TrueTone
- CHIP: A12Z Bionic,
- RAM: 6GB,
- Storage: 128GB base, 1TB maximum,
- Battery: up to 10 hours,
- Camera: 12MP Wide camera, 10MP Ultra Wide camera, 7MP depth camera,
- Audio: 5 studio-quality microphones for calls, video recording, and audio recording,
- Sensors: LiDAR Scanner (depth sensor),
- Price: starting at $799 for 11'' model, and $999 for 12.9'' model.
Apple also announced a new keyboard for iPad with Trackpad:
- Full‑size, backlit keyboard with a scissor mechanism,
- Trackpad supports Multi‑Touch gestures and the cursor in iPadOS 13.4+,
- USB-C port for charging iPad Pro,
- Compatible iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (3rd and 4th generation) & iPad Pro 11‑inch (1st and 2nd generation).
- Alignment guides in SwiftUI
- Anchor preferences in SwiftUI
- If you need to group values in a sequence you can use Dictionary with init(grouping:by:)
- How to Build a live markdown Editor with VueJS
- CSS / Vanilla JS Challenge | Re-create the Netflix Video Player
- Bootstrap 5 release date and what's new about it
- A set of over 300 free MIT-licensed high-quality SVG icons for you to use in your web projects
- I teamed up with a fellow redditor to try and make the best moon shot we could. Here is the result!
- How Much Toilet Paper?! - The Coronavirus Toilet Paper Calculator
Image credits: Microsoft
Weekly Digest - 2020.11
iOS 14, iPadOS 14, watchOS 7 details leaked
Couple of details leaked about upcoming operating systems and new Apple's products:
- Over-ear headphones with AirPods feature are coming,
- iPhone SE 2 will have TouchID,
- AirTag might have removable battery,
- Home screen will get list view for the apps,
- New augmented reality app will display detail information about real objects,
- 3rd-party apps will be able to integrate their wallpapers with the system
- HomeKit will be able to change the color temperature of lights throughout a day.
- Smart keyboards with trackpads are in the works,
- iPad Pro might have triple camera system,
- Extended support for mouse pointers,
- New OCR system capable to detect text written with Apple Pencil
- Sharing watch faces with friends & family,
- Watch face with tachymeter,
- Watch face with country flags,
- Photo watch face could be made not only out of single photos, but entire albums as well,
- Parental controls,
- Sleep tracking app,
- Blood oxygen tracking,
- WatchOS apps will be no longer be based on extensions.
According to Ming-Chi Ku, couple of new MacBooks will be released in upcoming months:
- 14- inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air with Scissor Keyboards will come in second quarter,
- MacBooks with ARM processor will come in late 2020 or early 2021.
Google Pixel 4a
- 5.8-inch (2340 x 1080) display,
- Snapdragon 730 CPU,
- 4GB or 6GB of RAM,
- Hole-punch selfie camera,
- Single 12-megapixel rear camera,
- Fingerprint sensor on the back,
- 3.5mm headphone jack,
- support for dual-sim in 6GB model,
- 3080mAh battery,
- Phone will be available in April starting at $399.
Coronavirus vs conferences #3
This week another conferences have been affected by coronavirus:
- E3 2020 joined has been cancelled,
- Microsoft's Build 2020 has been converted to online-only event,
- WDDC 2020 will be an online experience.
- Drawing In SwiftUI – A Comprehensive Guide
- Integrating MapKit with SwiftUI
- Avoiding massive SwiftUI views
- How to create Activity Ring in SwiftUI
- Class-only Protocols: class or AnyObject
- Google's Swift Style Guide
- Getting started with Vue & Apollo GraphQL
- Here is what Cloudflare Workers do
- is it canceled yet?
- Re-imagining the Windows Experience
Image credits: the Hacker 34
Weekly Digest - 2020.09
Safari will reject HTTPS certificates with over 13 months validity
Apple has announced that from September 1, Safari will reject any website that uses HTTPS certificate with more than 398 days of validity. Certificates issued before September 1 will not be affected until the date of their next certificate renewal.
ARM Macs in 2021?
According to Ming-Chi Kuo, first ARM Mac could be ready for sale in first half of 2021. Apple is working on ARM Mac for couple of years now, as part of switching from Intel processors to custom silicon chip. New CPU will not only allow Apple to become independent from Intel, which has been an issue in the past. But also will introduce more efficient silicon, which might result in better performance or/and battery life.
More Xbox Series X details
Phil Spencer shared couple of new details about upcoming console:
- Xbox is powered by chips based on latest AMD’s Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures enabling 12TFLOPS of computing power,
- Support for Variable Rate Shading (VRS) - instead of rendering all effects at the same frame rate, VRS will allow developers to apply different refresh rate to each of the effects,
- Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing will allow to achieve even more realistic computer graphics,
- Quick resume will allow to resume multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, thanks to fast SSD storage,
- Dynamic Latency Input (DLI) will help to reduce lag between console and wireless controllers,
- Support for 120FPS,
- Support for HDMI 2.1.
Coronavirus affects tech conferences
Facebook announced that their annual developer conference - F8 - has been canceled due to coronavirus outbreak. F8 was scheduled to take place on May 5th and May 6th this year. Although, the conference will not take place, Facebook is planning to organize local and online events.
Also, Game Developer Conference (GDC), that was planned for this March, has been postponed to this summer.
- Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Impressions
- My experience replacing CocoaPods with SwiftPM
- TextField in SwiftUI
- How to Make Text in a UIVisualEffectView Readable on Any Background
- Xcode Build Settings
- Vue.js: The Documentary
- My VS Code Setup
- Android Studio 4.0 Beta 1 available
- Evolutionary algorithms for optimization (including Java code and CI)
- The 25 most recommended programming books of all-time
- SMMRY - Summarize articles, text, websites, essays and documents
- Every productivity thought I've ever had, as concisely as possible
- How accurate are Ringed Planet emojis
Weekly Digest - 2020.08
Apple Event at the end of March?
Windows 10 icons redesigned
Microsoft has started rolling out new colorful app icons in Windows 10. New Icons are part of the Fluent Design that Microsoft has been working for years now. So far Mail and Calendar apps has been updated; rest of the core apps will be refreshed over upcoming months.
Android 11 Preview
Google has released first developer preview of the Android 11. At the moment preview is available only for selected Pixel phones.
Android 11 offers new capabilities for developers, like enhancements for foldables and 5G, call-screening APIs, new media and camera capabilities, machine learning, and more.
- Results of the iOS Developer Community Survey
- Tobias Due Munk - Prototyping Custom UI in SwiftUI
- Optional SwiftUI views
- Managing toolchains in Xcode
- Advanced localization techniques in Vue.js
- Vue.js: The Documentary - Trailer
- The React Cheatsheet for 2020 📄 (+ real-world examples)
- Add dark mode to your website with just a few lines of code
- DistroTest.net - The first online operating system tester