Weekly Digest - 2020.10
This week there was plenty of rumors regarding Apple:
- iPhone SE/9 is entering final stages of production,
- 14.1-inch MacBook Pro is on its way,
- Apple is working on iMac, MacBooks Pro and iPads with mini-LED displays.
Coronavirus vs Conferences
Google informed that Google IO 2020 is cancelled. Event was planned for May of this year. Similarly to previous conference cancelations, the reason is Coronavirus outbreak.
Also, Santa Clara County, asked big tech companies to cancel all upcoming big events. It means that Apple's WWDC might not happen this year, or it will be replaced by an online event.
- Swift ArgumentParser
- Writing command line interfaces for iOS apps
- Swift Package Continuous Integration Guide
- Improve your Xcode (Swift) Compile Time
- Made a couple apps in three months, SwiftUI is a blast to learn. Zero Programming experience. Would love feedback. Lessons learned so far.
- Apple Debugging
- iOS Developer interview questions 2020
- Hosting a site with docker+nginx+certbot+wildcard certs
- How to estimate time for a project/task accurately
- Curiosity's 1.8-Billion-Pixel Panorama of Mars
Weekly Digest - 2020.08
Apple Event at the end of March?
Windows 10 icons redesigned
Microsoft has started rolling out new colorful app icons in Windows 10. New Icons are part of the Fluent Design that Microsoft has been working for years now. So far Mail and Calendar apps has been updated; rest of the core apps will be refreshed over upcoming months.
Android 11 Preview
Google has released first developer preview of the Android 11. At the moment preview is available only for selected Pixel phones.
Android 11 offers new capabilities for developers, like enhancements for foldables and 5G, call-screening APIs, new media and camera capabilities, machine learning, and more.
- Results of the iOS Developer Community Survey
- Tobias Due Munk - Prototyping Custom UI in SwiftUI
- Optional SwiftUI views
- Managing toolchains in Xcode
- Advanced localization techniques in Vue.js
- Vue.js: The Documentary - Trailer
- The React Cheatsheet for 2020 📄 (+ real-world examples)
- Add dark mode to your website with just a few lines of code
- DistroTest.net - The first online operating system tester
Weekly Digest - 2020.05
One connector to rule them all
EU lawmakers voted overwhelmingly (540-40) in favor for rules that would establish a common charger standard for mobile devices. It has not been decided which connector is the chosen one, but proposed charging ports include Micro-USB, USB-C and the Lightning connector. Looking at the already wide adoption of the USB-C, it's rather safe to say that it will be chosen. Fortunately, we won't have to wait long for the decision, the European Commission should adopt new rules by July.
Apple wants to make SMS one-time codes safer
Apple's WebKit team published a proposal to change the format of SMS one-time passcodes. The idea is to make the two-factor authentication process more secure. The proposal describes two ideas to achieve that:
- SMS one-time passcodes would be associated with a URL. It would be achieved by simply adding the website's URL to the SMS itself,
- Standardized format of two-factor authentication SMS code would allow applications to detect passcodes; automatically extract them, and complete the login process without further user interaction.
Here is an example of such SMS message:
011970 is your Brain Archives authentication code.
So far Apple and Google have backed the proposal.
iOS 14 to support the same iPhones as iOS 13
According to French website iPhonesoft, iOS 14 will be compatible with all iPhones supported by iOS 13, including:
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max,
- iPhone XS & XS Max,
- iPhone XR,
- iPhone X,
- iPhone 8 & 8 Plus,
- iPhone 7 & 7 Plus,
- iPhone 6S & 6S Plus,
- iPhone SE,
- iPod touch (7th generation).
As for the iPads, iPhonesoft informs that iOS14 will drop support for the iPad mini 4, and will support following devices:
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro,
- 11-inch iPad Pro,
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro,
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro,
- iPad 7th, 6th & 5th generation,
- iPad mini (5th generation),
- iPad Air (3rd generation).
iPad turned 10
This week is the 10th anniversary of the original iPad announcement. iPad supposed to become the "post PC" device that would replace personal computers. 10 years later, we know it hasn't done that yet, but current generation of iPads and iPadOS is closer than ever. Although, tablets hasn't become as popular as smartphones, iPad helped Apple take over this market.
Google's new business communicator
According to report from The Information Google is working on a new communicator for workplaces, that will combine the part of GSuite functionality, like Gmail Google Drive & Hangouts.
- Atomic property wrapper in Swift
- Translucent “Now Playing” Bar
- iOS App Security: Best Practices
- Post Mortem: App Store Outage on January 24th, 2020
- React Native is the Future of Mobile at Shopify
- Intro to PWAs and Service Workers
- Introducing Yarn 2 ! 🧶🌟
- How Smashing Magazine Manages Content: Migration From WordPress To JAMstack
- Using NSwag to Generate a Vue Client for an ASP.NET Core 3.1 API
- Intrinsic Sizing In CSS
- Memory Management Reference
- Understanding The GIT Workflow
- Words Are Hard - An Essay on Communicating With Non-Programmers
- Postwoman • API request builder
- Are you unique?
Image credits: Lucian Alexe
Weekly Digest - 2020.04
Photos of the Xbox Series X leaked online
Photos of the next-gen console has were posted on NeoGAF and Twitter. It’s unclear how legitimate those photos are, but if this they are, it's the first time we can see the console with all the ports:
- HDMI Out,
- 1x front USB Type-A port,
- 2x rear USB Type-A ports,
- Ethernet port,
- Optical port
- Diagnostic port
Microsoft has not commented on the leak, so we will have to wait, probably till E3 2020, for official news.
iPhone 12 in new sizes?
According to report from Macotakara, this year iPhones will have new dimensions:
- 5.4-inch model will have a height that is midway between the iPhone SE and iPhone 8,
- 6.1-inch model will be midway between the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro Max,
- 6.7-inch model will be slightly taller than the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Also, it will be thinner, 7.4mm instead of 8.1mm.
Disney+ in Western Europe
Disney announced that its streaming service, Disney+, will launch in Europe on March 24th. It will be available in selected countries:
- United Kingdom.
Belgium, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland will get access this summer. Unfortunately, Eastern Europe will have to wait till the first half of 2021.
Google I/O 2020 announced
Google revealed that its annual developer conference will take place from May 12th to May 14th. The conference dates were reveled through a puzzle game.
It's still unclear what Google is going to announce during the conference, but the preview of a new Android is a safe bet.
- On the road to Swift 6
- Under the hood of Futures and Promises in Swift
- Optimizing views in SwiftUI using EquatableView
- Pull to Refresh in SwiftUI
- Sheets don’t inherit the environment
- When XML beats JSON: UI layouts
- Thanos JS - Reduce the file size of your project down to 50%,
by randomly deleting half of the files
- Blazor and Native Mobile Apps
- Embedding Power BI in Blazor
- Deploy your side-projects at scale for basically nothing - Google Cloud Run
- Let’s Reverse Engineer Discord
- Working for someone vs. doing your own thing
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Official Trailer
- LEGO International Space Station
Image credits: NeoGAF